Click, click, click – you hear it every time you light up your gas stove. What you are hearing when you hear this noise is your burners trying to ignite. The stove is continuously creating a spark that will ignite the gas. However, once you turn the control knob off the “Light” function, ideally you want to stop hearing that clicking noise. Even better yet, you definitely don’t want to hear it when you turn the knob to the “Off” setting. Unfortunately, if your gas burner is still making that clicking noise when on other settings, you have a problem.
While not an immediately dangerous problem, the constant clicking sound can make it an annoying one. If you also are watching the constant blue spark coming from your stove, as you can expect, it is hard on it. Though, in truth, the parts it is hard on are the ones that are likely malfunctioning anyway. If you are looking to stop the clicking on your gas range, here are the common culprits.
Before You Begin
While it is possible to replace the responsible parts for this issue on your own, you need to take the proper precautions. Before investigating and making replacements, you need to cut the power to your stove via the circuit breaker in your home and shut off the gas. This is also an immediate way to stop the clicking until one of our technicians can arrive to troubleshoot the issue.
Spark Ignition Switch
The spark ignition switch is what is responsible for sending voltage to the actual sparking mechanism. If it should happen to start malfunctioning, there is both the possibility that it will not send voltage or it will continuously send voltage, which will cause constant clicking.
Each burner has its own separate spark ignition switch that can be accessed under the burner. This requires professional appliance repair training so we recommend reaching out to our team to have us test this component properly.
A defective spark module is less likely the cause, but something to investigate if the switch checks out. This is what sends power to each surface burner, and if it is defective, it can cause continuous sparking.
This requires professional appliance repair training so we recommend reaching out to our team to have us test this component properly.