The water filter housing in your Frigidaire refrigerator model FRS26RLECS has a very easy job, it encases and protects your appliance’s water filter. Although its job is simple, a damaged filter housing can cause two very common malfunctions. The first issue it can lead to is a leak inside your refrigerator, and the second issue is an interruption of water flow to your appliance’s water dispenser. Luckily, replacing the water filter housing is a painless repair that most refrigerator owners can accomplish on their own.
Appliance Repair Safety Tips
- Start your refrigerator repair by unplugging your appliance and turning it water supply off.
- As you replace the malfunctioning component inside your refrigerator, we suggest you wear work gloves and safety goggles to protect your hands and eyes.
- If you are unable to safely complete the repair, please stop what you’re doing and contact a refrigerator repair technician to finish the replacement process.
How to Replace the Water Filter Housing in Your Frigidaire Refrigerator
- Open your refrigerator’s fresh food compartment door. Locate the water filter housing in the top right corner of the compartment.
- Using a quarter-inch nut driver, remove the screw that secures the plastic cover surrounding the water filter housing, and then take the cover out of the refrigerator.
- Unthread the two screws holding the water filter housing to the refrigerator’s back wall. After the screws are out, use a flathead screwdriver to gently pry the water couplets up and off the filter housing. Then, remove the housing from the refrigerator.
- Take off the water filter cover by rotating it counterclockwise. Next, pull the water filter out of the housing.
- This is a great time to replace the old water filter with a new filter. Now insert the old or new filter into the new housing. Once the water filter is in place, replace the top of the housing by twisting it in a clockwise rotation.
- Reinstall the water filter and housing by reconnecting the water lines to the top of the housing. Then, secure the housing to the back of the wall by replacing the two screws you took out earlier.
- Realign the housing’s plastic cover, and then tighten the screw that secures it.
- Close the refrigerator door and enjoy your new water filter housing.
If the water filter housing isn’t the cause of your refrigerator’s leak or the dispenser’s inability to dispense water, please contact us today, and we’ll be happy to help your figure the issue behind your appliance’s malfunction.